School staff are hit by food bug

Source of Article:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/7604218.stm

 

A Tyneside school has been forced to close its doors after about 40 staff fell ill with suspected food poisoning.

Harton Technology College in South Shields said the cause was thought to be linked to a training event held away from the site last Monday.

South Tyneside Council's environmental health team and the Health Protection Agency are investigating.

The college said none of its 1,362 pupils, aged 11-16, were affected and council catering was not suspected.

Medical advice

In a letter to parents, the college said: "As a result of extensive absence amongst the staff, we have been left with no option but to close the school for two days.

"The absence appears to be due to suspected food poisoning contracted on our training day last Monday.

"We believe that there is very little likelihood of children being medically affected."

However, parents have been warned to watch out for any signs of illness and seek medical advice if necessary.

A South Tyneside Council spokeswoman said the college was due to reopen on 10 September.

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________

Main Page

setstatsCopyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

If you have any comments, please  send your email to info@foodhaccp.com