N.B. confirms listeriosis death, but no link yet to national outbreak

Canwest News Service

Published: Monday, September 08, 2008

 

Source of Article:  http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=754de185-fac3-4934-9971-5d47e083eaa0

 

FREDERICTON - Provincial health officials are confirming a listeriosis death in New Brunswick, but caution that it is not yet known if it is linked to the outbreak that has claimed 13 lives to date across the country.

Dr. Eilish Cleary, acting chief medical officer, said the elderly victim, died in hospital where she had been transferred after falling ill in a nursing home.

It is the first confirmed case in the province since a national recall of meat products was announced last month. The Public Health Agency of Canada, has not yet added that death to its tally of cases linked to the Maple Leaf Foods listeria outbreak.

Cleary said the New Brunswick death is under investigation and it won't be known for a week to 10 days if it is related to that outbreak.

There are currently about 40 confirmed cases of listeriosis and 22 others where it is suspected nationally.

Cleary said it was premature to speculate on the source of the New Brunswick listeriosis case.

No other cases have been reported or are under investigation at this time, she said.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency lists vomiting, nausea, headache and diarrhea as symptoms of listeriosis, with symptoms usually appearing within two to 30 days after consuming contaminated food.

Listeriosis usually poses no health risk to healthy individuals, but those with compromised immune systems, the elderly, pregnant women and infants are more susceptible to illness.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has announced that there will be a full inquiry into the listeriosis outbreak.

________________________________________________________

Main Page

setstatsCopyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

If you have any comments, please  send your email to info@foodhaccp.com