Scientist, Food/Nutrition-110296 - Torrance, CA
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT:
The Scientist will conduct literature searches on the safety, benefit and regulatory status of ingredients and formulations of Herbalife products. This position will focus on the weight management, sports and fitness, cardio, and healthy aging product categories and assist in the preparation of summary reports to support the label and advertising claims. Specific product areas include Formula 1, Personalized Protein Powder, protein bars, soups, snacks, beverage mix, protein drink mix, H3O, Hydrate, Rebuild Strength, Rebuild Endurance, Prolong, Prepare, Liftoff, Formula 2, Advanced XtraCal, Advanced Joint Support, Herbalifeline, Niteworks, Tri-Shield, Mega garlic Plus, CoreCompex, CoQ Plus, omega 3-6-9, Prolessa, Aminogan, Thermo-Bond, Active Fiber, Florafiber, Probiotic, Garden 7, NADH, NRG, kids products, and bone health and beta glucan boosters. The position accountabilities include identifying, documenting and validating the appropriate ingredients, formulations and processes that meet standards and requirements for product costs, quality, efficacy, safety and regulation. As required, this individual will also assist in other non-development projects including but not limited to cost savings or operational improvements.
· Research and assist the drafting of documents and summary reports regarding ingredients and formulas in Herbalife products.
· Compile literature and summarize data to support communications.
· Investigate potential claims for Herbalife product portfolio.
· Provide regulatory support for claim substantiation and documentation for various inner nutritional and outer nutritional products.
· Support and inform R&D, QA/QC, Safety and Compliance, Marketing, Sourcing, Quality, Licensing and other Herbalife corporate and regional personnel.
· Interact with testing labs to analyze and verify data and test results.
· Document evaluations in Agile as part of Product Harmonization strategy.
· Assist project work flow with data-based decisions from identification through commercialization.
· Assist project activities with R&D and Operations Project Managers and maintain compliance with all NPP and R&D product stage gate activities.
· Support product/process changes or explore new ingredients as required to meet distributor needs, product claims, process limitations or financial constraints.
· Assist the Operations group in the identification of new or alternate vendors that meet the technical requirements for new products. .
· Meet with potential ingredient vendors.
· Stay current on relevant scientific and regulatory developments.
· Occasional domestic travel, to scientific meetings, industry trade shows, etc…
· Ability to function under general supervision as a contributing technical resource
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
· Strong use of MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Ability to predict and solve problems in a practical, timely and collaborative manner
· Ability to generate and analyze data to drive correct decision making
· Ability to navigate a fast paced environment with multiple stakeholder requirements and requests
· Demonstrable flexibility in taking and managing multiple assignments under rigid time constraints
· Proactive work team contributor
· Specific nutrition/food ingredient and/or food application knowledge
· 3+ years experience in relevant nutrition and food industry analysis and reporting
· Proven history of achieving results and adding corporate value
· Successful track record of contributions in cross-functional technical teams
· Business process orientation including adherence to New Product Process, testing protocols and appropriate Product Lifecycle Management (e.g. Agile) and laboratory notebook documentation
· Basic understanding of food and dietary supplement policy and regulation in the US
· Food and/or dietary supplement development experience in class of trade beyond retail (food service, ingredient, flavor) with demonstrated customer service focus
· Familiarity with food and dietary/food supplement policy and regulation outside the US
· Bachelors in Nutrition, Food Science, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry or related field
· Masters or Ph.D. in Nutrition, Food Science, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry or related field
· History of ongoing training courses in food/nutrition science or business processes
Light: Office work, some lifting, considerable walking • Must be able to see, hear, speak and write clearly in order to communicate with employees and/or other customers.• Must be able to perform pilot scale and commercial development activities.
• The office is clean, orderly, properly lighted and ventilated• Noise levels are considered low to moderate• Pilot plant and manufacturing environments will require use of proper safety equipment, which will be provided.
:Aug 23, 2011
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com