Bacteria found in clams from restaurant

September 29, 2008

Source of Article:  http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--badclams0929sep29,0,6479108.story

 

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Onondaga County health commissioner says lab tests found bacteria in some of the clams served at a central New York restaurant linked to 236 cases of gastrointestinal illness.

Dr. Cynthia Morrow says the latest test results from the state Health Department provide "overwhelming evidence" the clams were the source of the illness.

She said the clams were contaminated with Campylobacter and Vibrio, bacteria that cause gastrointestinal illness and diarrhea.

A total of 236 people who ate food from Hinerwadel's Grove in Clay between Sept. 4 and Sept. 16 developed food poisoning. The restaurant stopped serving the suspect clams after the outbreak investigation began.

Morrow said the lab results show it's unlikely Hinerwadel's was to blame for the contamination.



___

Information from: The Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com

 

Main Page

setstatsCopyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

If you have any comments, please send your email to info@foodhaccp.com