Founded in 2010, Harmless
Harvest is a progressive food & beverage initiative set to demonstrate
that ecosystem-based business can out compete the conventional
model. By integrating the long term welfare of all its stakeholders - from
plant to customer - Harmless Harvest has taken the food and beverage world
by storm- rising to the top of the industry in record time. In 2011, we
introduced the worldís first sustainably harvested, 100% raw, organic
coconut water and are now one of the leaders of the category nationwide,
and will soon launch a pioneering line of raw teas this Summer. Combining
innovative scientific methods with local traditional knowledge such as
agroforestry, Harmless Harvest develops and manufactures products that
actually deliver the nutritional and ethical integrity that others only
promise. By asserting tangible economic value to threatened ecosystems,
Harmless Harvest protects these areas and their traditions. With a
marketing budget of $0, we are quickly elevating expectations for product
quality by focusing the resources on the product not the promotion. Having
grown exponentially in the last two years, we are consistently seeking to
expand our team of passionate, driven entrepreneurs.
a) Manages all QA
programs: HACCP, GMP, and Fair Trade/Organic Certification Program.
b) Responsible for all types of quality audits
including systems, process and product audits by vendors, governmental
agencies and third parties.
c) Investigates quality and product safety related issues for inbound raw
materials, finished goods and packaging to identify, resolve and prevent
non-compliances through corrective actions, procedure development and
d) Monitors quality at co-packing facilities, identifies issues and
deviations, recommends and follows up on action.
e) Develops initial and subsequent modifications of product assurance
programs to determine areas of responsibility, personnel requirements and
f) Review technical problems and procedures of departments and recommends
solutions to problems or changes to procedures to improve impact of quality
g) Supervises and manages priorities, project timelines and deliverables of
quality technicians in co-packing facilities.
h) Develops and establishes procedures for on-site testing in compliance
with FDA regulations and manages supply inventory to ensure cost effective
i) Assures customer specifications,
manufacturing, co-packing and testing records are properly maintained.
j) Coordinates quality improvement reworks with Operations and collaborates
with other departments for overall quality improvement.
k) Assists R&D project team in developing new products while ensures
adherence of food quality standards and practices.
l) Handles inspection and renewal of licenses and registrations related to
food manufacturing practices issued by government agencies.
m) Works along with management personnel in formulating and establishing
company policies, operating procedures, and goals.
n) Direct coordination with bottling plant
o) Manage cold chain integrity and testing with distributors, retailers,
and internal teams
a) BS degree in Food
Science, Microbiology or related major
b) 5+ years of quality management experience in a Food
Manufacturing/Packaging plant environment Quality Assurance and Food Safety
Founded in 2010, Harmless
Harvest is a progressive food and beverage initiative set to demonstrate
that ecosystem-based business can outcompete the
conventional model. The company sources 100% raw and organic ingredients
from local farmers around the world, and it seeks to make agroforestry a
social business that creates positive feedback loops between people and
By integrating the long
term welfare of all its stakeholders - from plant to customer - Harmless
Harvest has taken the food and beverage world by storm- rising to the top
of the industry in record time. In 2011, we introduced the worldís first
sustainably harvested, 100% raw, organic coconut water and are now one of
the leaders of the category nationwide, and will soon launch a pioneering
line of raw teas this summer.
scientific methods with local traditional knowledge, such as agroforestry,
Harmless Harvest develops and manufactures products that actually deliver
the nutritional and ethical integrity that others only promise. By
asserting tangible economic value to threatened ecosystems, Harmless
Harvest protects these areas and their traditions.
With a marketing budget
of $0, we are quickly elevating expectations for product quality by
focusing the resources on the product not the promotion. Having grown
exponentially in the last two years, we are consistently seeking to expand
our team of passionate, driven entrepreneurs.
With a wonderfully
dynamic but casual atmosphere, Harmless Harvest is composed of eclectic,
hard-working, passionate individuals focused on the uniting mission of
positive global consumerism. Believing that better products can benefit the
plants and people at the source as much as the people that purchase them,
team members are driven to create innovative forces within the company and
the beverage industry as a whole.
Harmless Harvest offers a
unique opportunity for a values driven quality
manager to lead and implement the global quality strategy from local
farmers to local retailers, to develop practices that contribute to more
sustainable and safe production.
Manage & Ensure
- Support supply chain and operations teams in management of product
- Develop quality strategy and implement processes to ensure excellent
quality and outstanding compliance, all along supply chain.
- Ensure reduction of quality and safety liabilities and risks.
- Document and address any deficiencies, perform root-cause analysis and
implement processes to prevent re-occurrence.
- Develop and implement prevention plan. Prepare recall, withdrawals and
Tests / Certifications /
- Manage and develop auditing system. Develop and implement HACCPís, GMPís,
SOPís and SSOPís for all Manufacturing sites and make sure they are
followed. Oversee maintenance of cold chain integrity.
- Monitor Certifications and Food Safety Program compliance (USDA, FDA,
NOP, Fairtrade). Develop
and implement ISO Program.
- Ensure environmental microbiological monitoring and control programs,
finished product microbiological testing programs, allergen program, and
- Collect MSDS on all ingredients.
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve a testing and sampling program
specifically designed for raw ingredients, semi-finished goods and finished
- Conduct scientific studies, compile results and prepare reports to
facilitate decision making. Review and update technical product
- Interact effectively with FDA and other regulatory personnel, food safety
auditors, and customers to maintain positive & responsive
- Develop, manage and coach a team of field Quality and Technical Services
professionals, including production managers on both coasts.
- Monitor daily QA activities, define and implement KPIs. Propose
corrective actions and work with supply chain team and partners to
communicate deviations and resolve issues.
- Review and confirm all third party invoices prior to payment.
- 7-10+ years of Food
Safety experience in a food-manufacturing environment, dealing with
dairy/refrigerated/highly perishable products, as well as co-packers.
- HPP experience a plus.
- Bachelorís and Masterís Degrees in Food Science or Microbiology or
related discipline required.
- HACCP certified and experienced. Audit training or certification a plus.
- Strong foundation in regulatory policies.
- Proven ability to evaluate food safety and quality process
- Experience developing and implementing a whole quality process.
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience in food chemistry and
microbiology, as well as food safety and limited shelf-life products.
- Highly organized, detail oriented with ability to multi-task.
- Ability to handle complex situations involving multiple SKUís, channels
and distribution models.
- Ability to lead and develop Quality team in both technical capability and
- Passionate and high-energy individual looking to play a critical role in
a developing company.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic business environment.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally for extended periods
up to 30% annually, by plane or car (includes international passport and
valid driving license).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and creative problem solving.
- Deadline oriented with ability to organize assignments, set priorities
and carry out plans.
- Project management capacity.
- Excellent Excel skills.
- Excellent negotiating and contracting skills.
This position is located
in our San Francisco headquarters. Applicants must live in the San
Francisco Bay Area to be considered.
Position involves dealing
with complex business conditions due to the need for complete knowledge of
our product line and a thorough understanding of the business environment.
investment is required, as well as occasional travel. This high degree of
flexibility is necessary due to the varied customer base and market driven
The interview process
will include negotiation and communication tests, as well as writing
samples and case study analysis.
For additional info:
Quality Management, Quality Manager, Food Safety, Quality Control, Quality
c) Knowledge and
experience with both USDA/FDA regulations
d) Strong interpersonal , verbal and written communication skills
e) HACCP background
f) Experience with perishable products a must, dairy a plus