Food Poisoning Scare Closes Dining Hall at Georgetown University

 

Source of Article: http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7554063&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

 

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2008, 11:36 AM EDT

WASHINGTON, D.C. A number of Georgetown University students are recovering from what appears to be a case of on-campus food poisoning.

School officials told FOX 5 that a total of 41 students complained of nausea and vomiting after eating at O'Donovan Dining Hall, which is also known to students as Leo's.  They say they about 25 of those students were treated overnight at Georgetown University Hospital and it is believed they contracted the same food borne illness.

Officials said though the students ate at the same dining hall, they did not all eat the same dish. 

Earlier Wednesday, the school newspaper's website, www.thehoya.com, reported that of the eight students in the emergency waiting room around 3 a.m., six of them had dinner at O'Donovan Hall or had Grab 'n Go for dinner that night.  The other two students told The Hoya they had not eaten at the dining hall since earlier in the day or on Monday evening.   

According to the newspaper, a university official was at the hospital to help students, and she said the school hadn't been able to determine just what the source of the believed food poisoning was. 

O'Donovan Hall was closed to students for at least breakfast and lunch on Wednesday while the investigation into the sicknesses continues.  The Hoya reports that the university sent an email to students earlier in the morning telling them the dining hall would be closed, and breakfast and lunch would take place in a different location instead.

 

 

________________________________________________________

Main Page

setstatsCopyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

If you have any comments, please  send your email to info@foodhaccp.com