The comprehensive food
safety information website
Staff Scientist – Contract
Institute of Food Technologists
Washington, DC 20036
Primarily serves as a staff resource on program development and execution in support of
grants and contracts. May also provide support for other Science & Policy Initiatives.
· Assists Director on select tasks associated with grant and activities by contributing significant scientific and technical support
· Provides primary support for tasks requiring expertise with respect to food processing, food microbiology, food chemistry, food safety and defense, and other areas of food science and technology
· Identifies specific information needs relevant to project tasks and proposals including the searches of scientific literature and other print and electronic information resources, including coordinating meetings with members and nonmembers to gather information;
· Assists in identification of experts to serve on tasks;
· Plans meetings and/or conference calls to conduct task scope of work;
· Drafts or contributes to regular project reports, including the final report
· Monitors scientific literature and information sources to stay abreast of advances and current issues in food safety, food defense and related fields of particular interest to the science project activity and the SPI team.
· Assists in drafting, drafts and/or finalizing scientific reports to ensure accuracy, consistency and professional appearance.
· Actively participates in the ongoing administration of related volunteer panels, task forces, work groups, etc.
· Attends select public meetings that are of importance to the office
· Maintain effective communications and good working relationships with other organization personnel and IFT coworkers.
· MS or Ph.D. in Food Science with focus on Food Engineering, Food Microbiology, Food Chemistry, or related field.
· 2 – 5 years professional experience beyond academic training preferred.
· With industry internship experience or postdoc experience is preferred.
· Experience in association or not-for-profit environment a plus
· Good technical experience and strong education background in hazard analysis of food products. Clear understanding of food safety issues and good knowledge about food system from farm to table.
· Relationship builder - able to work as a team member, provides courteous service to internal and external 'clients'
· Superior written and oral communication
· Consistently demonstrates cooperative attitude - assumes responsibility; is flexible in working with others
· Demonstrate a commitment to follow-through; results orientation
· Initiative: actively engaged in continuous improvement; provides suggestions for improvement; offers solutions to challenges/issues
· Engaged: maintains effective presence while at work
· Superior writing skills to translate policy into updates for IFT and to summarize scientific publications into succinct and understandable points to consider for policymakers.
· This is a one year contract position with additional option year.
· Travel and the ability to attend evening and weekend meetings
· Sitting for extended periods of time.
· Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to effectively handle office Machinery
Please email your resume in MS Word, RTF, HTML, or ASCII text format. If you wish
to enclose a cover letter, please include it in the body of your email message.
Email Us Here: 100924-JBfirstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com