MIRPUR: Some 400 people, mostly children, fell victim to food
poisoning after taking sub-standard burgers in the Barhingh
village of the Bhimbher district of Azad Jammu
and Kashmir late on Friday, police said.
Emergency has been declared in the Bhimbher District Hospital
where 195 patients have been admitted due to critical condition, Senior
Superintendent Police Bhimbher Abrar Haidar told APP on
Police have arrested Ansar, owner of a bakery
shop in Barhingh village, for selling the
reported poisonous burgers which made innocent people victim of severe
abdominal diseases, Abrar Haidar
“A case has been registered against the accused under Section
337-J/Enforcement of Hudood Act and 271 and 272
AJKPC,” the district police chief said.
He added that the accused Ansar had made bulk
quantity of burgers a couple of days before the Eid
day for selling them on Eid. He said earlier the
accused sold the burgers at Rs 25 each but later
he reduced its price to Rs 10. The SSP said the
village people, mostly children, started taking the commodity in bulk due
to the low rate.
Abrar said soon after taking the burgers, the
people started suffering abdominal diseases including dehydration,
dysentery, vomiting and other stomach-related disorders, besides falling
He said the victims were rushed to the Bhimbher District Hospital
for medical aid. Nearly 400 victims were brought to the DHQ Hospital
till Friday night. He said 195 of these patients were admitted to the Bhimbher
whereas over 200 patients were discharged after dispensation of required
The SSP said special teams of medical specialists and paramedical staff had
been called from Mirpur District
Hospital to assist
the local hospital staff.
He said police vans were rushed to the village for shifting hundreds of
such patients to the hospital.