Title: Quality & Food Safety Internship - Pittsburgh PA
Req Number: hein-00003599
Location(s): Pittsburgh PA
The candidate for this position will interact with a cross-functional team on
the development and improvement of quality and food safety principles for new
and existing products. He/she will execute experimentation in laboratory, pilot
plant, and manufacturing environments. The individual will gain working
knowledge of analytical or microbiological testing techniques, label and
ingredient statement development, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and
sanitation, food processing, quality documentation, and customer/consumer
feedback. Successful candidates will have a technical understanding of food
formulation, processing, and quality / food safety procedures. A general
awareness of government regulations, basic statistics, analytical and
microbiological laboratory practices, and quality / food safety principles
would be useful.
Activities performed daily may include:
- Review and develop labels and ingredient statements for new or improved
- Learn internal quality documentation e-systems to input data or run
- Run experimental trials, at the laboratory, pilot plant, or assist at a
manufacturing plant level.
- Work with various manufacturing locations to gather data on specific
projects around GMPs, sanitation, or environmental monitoring to identify
root cause and corrective/preventive actions.
- Solve technical problems through search of scientific literature, outside
suppliers, or other sources of technical information.
- Communicate technical results both verbally and written to pertinent
- Some physical labor will be required including lifting up to 50 lbs,
cleaning of laboratory and pilot plant equipment and handling of shipments of
finished products to customers.
- Candidates will have a partial completion of a BS Food Science, Food
Technology, Chemical Engineering or related degree (Sophomore/Junior at
- Graduate students will also be considered.