E. coli claims the lives of two children
Source of Article: http://www.ksn.com/news/local/30892269.html
Both boys died after being taken to
The other boy, an unidentified four-year-old, from
"He's the only case in
Jones says the boy’s father is a rancher and because cow manure is a major source of E. coli, she says there’s a good chance the four-year-old came into contact with and ingested cow manure or manure tainted water.
Lois Rayhal is an infection control nurse
"It just takes a very small amount of bacteria to cause disease,” Rahal said. "Most cases are isolated, where an individual child or adult comes in contact with E. coli through their own cattle, or visiting a farm."
It’s a reminder of how important frequent handwashing is for both adults and children, especially after contact with cattle.
E. coli can also be contracted through tainted meat or vegetables that have been sprayed with cow manure tainted water. So, along with handwashing, proper food preparation is key.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com