Botswana: Child dies, 100 admitted for food poisoning

Source of Article:

In a shocking case of food poisoning in Kanye, one child is said to have died, whilst about a hundred were admitted to Kanye Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Hospital.

According to Kanye deputy officer commanding, superintendent Obonyeng Kelebeng, a nine-year-old girl died last weekend after eating food at a funeral in Selokolela, a settlement several kilometres west of Kanye. He said that the girl was certified dead upon arrival at Athlone Hospital in Lobatse.

Kanye SDA Hospital deputy matron, Keabitsa Ramantele, said that they received patients from the settlement who were complaining of diarrhoea and vomiting last Sunday. She said they all reported that they had eaten samp and meat at a funeral in Selokolela.

Ramantele said that so far they have received about 98 patients from Selokolela.

"Yesterday we consulted and sent back some of them home, whilst we had 30 whom we hospitalised overnight," she said.

She said that because the hospital was already overcrowded, they had to refer 13 patients, also suffering from food poisoning, to Athlone hospital in Lobatse, which is 45km from Kanye.

She advised people, especially parents, to avoid taking food from events like funerals to their households to avoid a situation where "the whole family would be struck by food poisoning".



Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under

            If you have any comments, please  send your email to