Senior Food Microbiologist - Northeast
Major bakery products manufacturer in the Northeast seeks a Senior Food
Microbiologist to work within the Research &
Development department and be responsible for applying advanced technical
knowledge of food microbiology and preservation methods to ensure food safety
during product/process development within R&D and manufacturing.
Responsible for working with Research and Development team to assist in
identifying and developing new food safety intervention systems and
optimizing/enhancing existing systems; coordinating and performing lab
testing to verify the efficacy of new and existing systems and interfacing
with customers as needed. Contribute to the preparation of technical
proposals, amendments and reports. Review work for accuracy, completeness and
soundness of technical judgment.
Identify solutions and/or strategies to address microbiological safety and/or
spoilage issues associated with products. Develop and manage studies
(e.g. challenge studies, shelf-life studies, antimicrobial ingredient
evaluation, etc.) needed to validate microbiological safety and/or stability
of products. Review and approve plant pathogen and non-pathogen
microbiological environmental sampling programs. Conduct microbiological risk
assessments for existing products/processes and new product/process concepts.
- Set up, operate and maintain microbiology lab and equipment.
- Communicate results findings and conclusions in a scientific, professional
and unambiguous manner utilizing various tools from direct contact to
teleconferencing, video conferencing and face-to-face meetings.
- Manage multiple research projects simultaneously, prioritizing assignments
and coordinating resources.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records, laboratory notebooks, and database.
- Determine the analysis projects to be sent
outside Company. Work with outside labs, universities, ingredient suppliers
and equipment vendors as needed by project activity. Establish protocols with
- Ensure accuracy of analytical results.
- Ensure the work environment is sanitary, safe and orderly, that biohazard
safety training is current, and safe handling practices are used.
- Document the types of lab tests that have been conducted and record results
of such tests in a Lab Notebook or in a computer database.
- Perform analytical testing, biohazard measurements, testing and statistical
analysis to troubleshoot problems and provide solutions to a wide range of
difficult problems of a complex scope by applying advanced technical
knowledge and extensive experience.
- Perform measurements and statistical analysis.
- Lead, train and mentor technicians.
- Provide technical advice to others within specialty.
B.S. in Microbiology, Food Science, Food Engineering or related
field and minimum of 4 years relevant experience in food preparation/food
M.S. or PhD in Microbiology, Food Science, or
related field with at least one internship in the food industry in
microbiology research or quality assurance.
PC / internet skills (Excel, Word, database, statistical software)
and the ability to create spreadsheets, computer analysis, report writing.
Proficient with relevant software tools (.e.g. Optiva,
Good communication skills.
Ability to work independently as well as with teams.
Preference will be given to those
with experience working in the food industry.
Travel may be required (about 10 ˆ 15%, domestically).
For more information, please contact Moira
OPUS International, Inc. 954 428-3888 or e-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org