Food Safety Technician – New Boston, MI
Develop, review, update, and maintain plant quality systems to ensure the
production of high quality and safe food products that comply with product
design, federal safety guidelines, and meet or surpass consumer expectations.
The position is responsible to research, implement, and maintain all quality
systems - as well as support resulting change management, and drive
continuous improvement. This position will operate under general guidance
from management, and perform routine work independently.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Develop, review, update and maintain the plant’s food safety and food
quality programs to ensure compliance with Global Food Safety Initiative
(GFSI) standards. Assist with implementation of new initiatives, as needed,
to comply with GFSI standards.
2. Ensure that company is up to date in compliance with regulatory and
technological changes that may affect the food industry by maintaining
professional contacts with peers in the industry, universities, and
3. Investigate, and document any compliance issues. Provide results to
management, and make recommendations related to results of investigations.
4. Establish vendor specifications and monitor vendor compliance.
5. Develop and facilitate required colleague training - including creation of
6. Promote colleague ownership of programs - through ongoing communication of
essential information related to safety and food handling to all levels of
7. Act as key contact to external agencies for third-party audits. Reconcile
any issues resulting from audits, and complete validation and verification of
plant quality systems.
8. Develop self-assessments and self-audits of quality systems, proper
documentation, and records related to the quality and safety systems.
9. Maintain all recordkeeping related to plant safety and quality issues.
10. Responsible for the design, development and implementation of the
company’s safety programs.
11. Outline, implement and train colleagues on all safety, policies,
procedures, regulations, accident protection and prevention.
12. Conduct investigations and complete documentation of any safety or
process event (root cause analysis). Recommend and implement resolutions.
13. Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state health and safety
Supplemental Job Functions:
1. Maintain Food Defense policies and programs to comply with FDA, AIB and
2. Conduct regular Food Defense meetings and inspections.
3. Lead and assist with the preparation for all plant audits and participate
and in the actual inspection process.
4. Track all infractions and insure infractions are corrected within
specified time frame for all plant audits.
5. Maintain, organize and update Inspection binders for all 3rd party audits.
6. Serve as a HACCP coordinator and back up to the QA for plant inspections.
7. Assist in the maintenance and training of company programs, polices,
procedures, techniques and systems to ensure product conformance to Company
and regulatory specifications and standards. Support operations in embedding
systemic corrective and preventative actions regarding internal and third
8. Maintain organized filing system to ensure all information is readily
available to support company
9. Perform significant analysis and investigate data. Assemble data into
report form, and submit to supervisor.
10. Participate in project teams or performs additional work assignments as
requested. Collaborate with other work groups to promote and sustain plant
1. Coordinates and conducts line trials for new packaging, changes to
packaging and packaging equipment.
2. Collects and evaluates data from trials and provides written report of
findings with recommendations.
3. Work with packaging vendors for samples, problems and cost saving ideas.
4. Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis to support continuous
5. Maintains packaging specifications and performance requirements.
6. Work with other departments (Marketing, QA, R&D, and Maintenance) and
outside customers and suppliers in support of projects (concept to market)
and departmental packaging goals and objectives.
7. Troubleshoot production problems as it relates to packaging equipment or
8. Utilize Topps software for packaging and palletizing optimization.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Bachelor degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Engineering, or related
2. Minimum of four (4) years experience in quality
or food safety in a food manufacturing environment - with one year experience
in food service (i.e. Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
3. Knowledge and application of federal and state food industry, sanitation,
and pest control regulations.
4. Previous experience with independent or third-party audits. Demonstrated
ability to work with and provide direction to internal and external
5. Working knowledge of GFSI standards.
6. Evidence of organization, planning, and prioritization skills - with the
ability to handle multiple ongoing priorities.
7. Demonstrated ability to analyze problems, make sound business
recommendations, and exercise discretion and judgment.
8. Evidence of highly developed communication skills (verbal, written, and
presentation), and the ability to communicate technical information to a
variety of audiences.
9. Computer Proficiency (Microsoft Office, databases, internet, etc.).
Preferred Knowledge, skills and abilities:
1. Safe Quality Foods (SQF) Practitioner certification preferred.
1. Exposure to plant and manufacturing conditions. Temperature, noise, and
the like may be unlike those conditions found in an office environment.
Champion Foods, a division of Ilitch
Holdings, Inc., is a premier manufacturer of top quality food products
focusing on pizza, breadsticks and cookies. Headquartered in the Metro
Detroit area, Champion Foods, an entity of Ilitch
Holdings family of businesses which includes Little Caesars Pizza, Blue Line
Foodservice Distribution, The Detroit Red Wings, the Detroit Tigers, and
Champion Foods has an immediate need for a ***Maintenance Technician***. This
position will be located at our headquarters in New Boston, MI.