Sr. Scientist II - Ingredient Systems
– Downers Grove, IL
As an integral member of our Research & Development team
reporting to the Director of Emerging Technologies, this position will be
recognized as a technical leader in meat product innovation. The individual
brings a proven combination of innovative thinking, be an expert in the
development and application of savory flavor and functional ingredient
systems for meat products, and exhibit business acumen to drive delivery of
best-in-class products to the marketplace.
Technical background is well rounded to actively support all
aspects of food product development from concept/protocept,
through feasibility, scale-up, commercialization and optimization. Ability
to translate paper concepts and culinary gold standards into commercial
products is essential. This individual possesses proven project management
skills and ability to participate on and sometimes lead cross- functional
teams focused on innovative product development. .
Sr. Scienitst II- Ingredient Systems will work
closely with Product and Process Development Scientists, Culinary, Sensory
and Wellness & Nutrition, Food Safety, Procurement, Consumer Insights
and Brand Marketing. The individual serves as the Hillshire Brands
representative to external partners including suppliers, and industry
Support R&D objectives to achieve innovation financial
targets for Retail and Food Service and ensure excellent execution of
innovation platforms as measured by achieving success metrics on consumer
test overall liking and in-market repeat purchase through the delivery of
products with ehanced eating experience.
• Develop savory flavor and functional ingredient systems for
use in processed meat products.
• Serve as a change agent for the product development process
by emphasizing up front culinary gold standards.
• Partner with Culinary to translate the gold standards to
commercially viable flavors and seasonings
• Serve as liaison to manage key partner suppliers and
facilitate discussions with the product development scientists delivering
faster time to market.
• Drive flavor and seasoning partners to unlock and leverage
the full range of supplier capabilities.
• Apply new and emerging technologies to deliver innovative
• Ensure protection and ownership of proprietary formulas.
• Partner with Procurement to drive cost efficiency in flavor
and seasoning ingredients.
• Design experiments and actively support bench and/or plant
• Anticipate and solve technical hurdles associated with new
product development, scale-up and commercialization
• Communicate project recommendations, status and findings to
As required, present technical presentations on savory flavor and
functional ingredient systems to internal and external audiences
• MS in Food Science, Meat Science, Chemistry
• 10+ years savory flavor system development with expert
knowledge in flavor and functional food ingredients.
• 5+ years meat processing experience
• Demonstrated capability to develop and deliver to the market
innovative meat products.
• Demonstrated project management skills and cross-functional
Hillshire Brands focuses on providing meat-centric food
products that satisfy consumer appetites and offer exceptional quality and
value. The flagship brands of our reinvigorated company include Ball Park,
Gallo Salame, Hillshire Farm, Jimmy Dean and
State Fair. In addition, the company produces the well-loved Sara Lee
frozen desserts. The Hillshire Brands foodservice division serves our
portfolio of products to restaurants, schools, convenience stores,
healthcare facilities, hospitality venues and other food service
operations. Collectively, these brands generate approximately $4 billion in
revenue as they touch millions of consumers in North America.
At Hillshire Brands, we believe that careers are as unique as
individuals. That's why we offer employment opportunities that give you
ownership of your career. All employees have a voice, and your ideas are
valued. As an employee of the company, your individual contributions will
make a significant impact on our overall success. Our organization benefits
from the passion of individuals working together, so as an employee of
Hillshire Brands you will have an opportunity to further develop your
skills, gain new experiences and build new capabilities.
An Equal Opportunity /
Affirmative Action Employer
Research & Development
US-IL-Downers Grove (Metro