Food Safety Specialist –
Lab Support is seeking a
Food Safety Specialist for an upcoming opportunity with one of our clients in
the food and beverage industry. The position would report into the Director
of QA, and would handle the retail side of food safety for the company.
Establish corporate quality assurance systems for company’s retail stores
that align with the Federal Food Code. Determine local regulatory
jurisdiction requirements for proper safety and Food Manager requirements.
Champion training initiatives for continuous improvement efforts that will
raise the company’s compliance performance. Act as a technical regulatory
resource to cross functional business teams.
1. Act as liaison and point of contact for state and local regulatory
agencies regarding Food Safety concerns
2. Assist Retail and Commercial Business (domestic and international)
operations to ensure all products and related store operating practices
related to food & beverage conform to the governing regulations.
3. Monitor regulations and assure consistent understanding and
interpretation of regulations for jurisdictions company operates in.
4. Monitor pending regulations via CFP, FDA Food Code, major State
Health Departments, and other resource sites, identify and communicate impact
5. Research international markets for understanding and compliance with
applicable regulations governing company’s products for ability to export new
6. Work with Product Management and Sourcing to resolve multi-country
7. Leverage knowledge of product codes and regulations to assure
required information is established on product specification sheets for
domestic and international franchise stores.
8. Contributing resource for Learning & Development to establish an
internal company Food Safety training program that leverages knowledge
to all shift employees.
9. Assist in updating the Operations Manual by providing process and
protocol changes that reflect proper knowledge and include FDA Food Code
10. Facilitate efforts in partnership with company's Learning &
Development team to understand and improve compliance of company stores with
local Health Inspections
11. Assist PM/Marketing in assuring labeling compliance for company
12. Report to management as necessary on issues and trends related to
Health Code inspections and violations.
13. Design, implement and promote plans that establish quality
standards, process control, process improvement, testing methodology, and
14. Provide regulatory expertise and guidance to PM, buyers, marketing
15. Participate in Supplier Quality Audits as available.
16. Provide personal time to industry, community or government to
enhance company’s image and presence in the industry.
17. Follow standard work, work safely, and attend required personal
18. Participate in training related to our products so as to enhance
understanding of company's products and culture.
19. Create a working relationship and climate to attain and maintain a
high level of executive and employee morale.
20. Establish by the first of each year a well-defined operational plan
for the Retail Quality Assurance function that meets the Corporate and
Division strategic goals.
21. Establish budget requirements for the Retail Quality Assurance
function and present to the Director, Corporate QA as a part of the budgeting
22. Ensure the safety of new and existing products, and assure adequate
flow of new products and ideas meet planned objectives.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Expert understanding of emerging and current regulations applicable
to company products
• Knowledgeable in ability to research regulations in North American and
• Knowledge of Food Safety and/or Food Science
• Ability to train and mentor others
• Excellent communication skills, ability to simplify complex issues
• Ability to leverage knowledge and expertise to represent company
• Ability to leverage sound technical principals to problem solve
• Experience in or knowledge of all applicable food industry related
• Strong attention to details, organized, and problem solving skills
• Self motivated with ability to multi-task
• HACCP certified or complete HACCP certification within 6 months of
• Computer skills required; Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or a related field
• 5 years experience interpretation and application of Federal and State
Regulatory food and beverage compliance in North America.
• 5 years experience developing and reviewing information and processes
that comply with regulatory requirements for food and beverage
• International QSR in Quality & Food Safety experience a plus
The physical demands for this position are sits, stands, bends, lifts, and
moves intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be
accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
The duties of this position
may change from time to time. The company reserves the right to add or
delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the company or its
managers. This job description is intended to describe the general
level of work being performed. It is not intended to be
Food & Beverage
or Apply Online
Are you looking for a
company with science in its DNA?
Lab Support, a division of
On Assignment, is a recognized leader in the scientific staffing industry.
Since 1985, our sole focus has been to place scientific professionals at all
career levels in contract, contract-to-hire and direct hire positions. With a
reputation for one-to-one career counseling and a track record that includes
the placement of over 200,000 scientists, Lab Support has built a reputation
as one of the best in the business.
Lab Support is supported by
a nationwide network of branches serving all major markets, international
branches in Europe, relationships with leading scientific companies and over
20 years of experience.
For more information visit
us online at labsupport.com.
An Equal Opportunity