Ras Al Khaimah:
Fourteen employees at a cement factory here have been hospitalised
after consuming rotten food they prepared at a kitchen in the factory.
The labourers including a Sudanese, a
Pakistani, five Indians and seven Bangladeshis were taken in ambulances to
Sources said the place the labourers used to
prepare their food was extremely dirty and the food they prepared was
rotten and not fit for human consumption.
The sources added that at the beginning, the factory management and the
other concerned authorities assumed that the employees were poisoned by the
water they had drunk at the factory, but later it was ascertained that only
the food they consumed was the cause of the poisoning.
The employees collapsed one after another and their shocked colleagues
reported the situation to the factory management which in turn reported it
to the concerned authorities and contacted the hospital to provide
ambulances to carry the employees to the hospital.
Chaos spread throughout the factory where the resident physician
provided the collapsed employees with first aid until the ambulances
arrived, rushing the employees to the hospital.
The sources said that the water in the factory and the food the
employees consumed were tested by the authorities and the food the
employees prepared was initially blamed for the incident.
The authorities toured the premises of the factory and found that the
kitchen in which the employees prepared their food was in an extremely
The authorities did not take any action against the factory and
considered the poisoning cases an internal affair that should be handled by
the factory management, but they strongly recommended serious amendments to
enhance the hygienic standards in the factory.
The labourers were discharged on Monday.