BROAD FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
To advance Del Monte Vegetable/Tomato/Broth Research & Development
projects from concept through commercialization.
• This position is responsible to independently lead research
projects resulting in the commercialization of new food products as
assigned by the Projects Manager.
• The functions performed by this position are the execution and
accountability of projects by designing & conducting
experiments, recording of experimental data, leading
cross-functional teams, and communicating of results to the Project
Manager by means of progress reports, product examinations and
• The incumbent in the Sr. Technologist II position is expected to
have strong product formulation skills, in addition to good project
planning skills which would enable him/her to independently plan,
coordinate, perform, and be accountable for all aspects of a project
(including but not limited to: project design & timing analysis;
cost analysis; sourcing raw materials; prototype development; rapid protocepting; data analysis & interpretation;
managing chemistry & lab analysis; assessing process integration
& co-packing feasibility; ensuring products are developed within
Nutrition, Regulatory, and QA guidelines; and managing product
stability & shelf life testing).
• The position may also be required to supervise the department's
support staff (i.e.: technicians), coordinate new product /
production start-up, and lead the operational troubleshooting
efforts at manufacturing installations. This includes technical
service projects such as formula qualifications, product-package
interactions, process scale-ups, and cost optimization initiatives.
• The problems most often encountered in this position are solving
complex technical problems related to the development,
manufacturing, and / or modification of the food products and
• The greatest challenge is to achieve the desired research results
within the product image, cost, and time guidelines set forth for
the multiple projects he/she will be working on. The incumbent may
at times be required to travel to various Company installations,
co-packers, or suppliers.
• The Sr. Technologist II performance is measured on his / her
ability to efficiently organize and plan for complex projects,
scientifically conduct research projects using experimental design,
and his / her ability to work with other technologists within the
food group, other laboratory groups and personnel at the other Del
Monte Foods facilities. The incumbent in this position is expected
to show progression in the ability to execute complex projects
requiring extensive technical expertise and detailed project
planning skills prior to promotion.
Other aspects of this position required of an incumbent:
• Must be able to travel by plane
• Must be capable of travel for extended periods of time
• The ability to lead a group
• Must be able to work in a factory environment dealing with
equipment and raw ingredients
• Must be able to conduct plant tests and commissionings
• Physical labor (able to lift 50 lbs. and maneuver around equipment)
• Ability to comprehend written instructions
• Possess mathematical dexterity
• Possess computer skills - Excel, Word, Genesis, and be able to
learn new programs
• The incumbent may be asked to prepare and conduct special cuttings
of samples and collect product data.
• To support Exploration Phase of Product Development cycle,
technical evaluation of adjacent category products is expected.
• Proactively generate and develop innovative product and process
• Work closely with Purchasing to establish and reinforce new &
existing relationships with suppliers & vendors; establish the
framework for evaluating contingency suppliers and raw materials.
• Provide special technical input and assistance in regulatory &
labeling, nutritional, and packaging.
• Pull together project plans and presentations for upper management
alignment and review.
The incumbent's most significant contacts within the Company are
daily contacts with other groups within the technical center and
periodic contact with Leadership Teams, Marketing, Market Research,
and Operations. Contacts with outside supplier representatives will
Minimum B.S. Food Science, Chemistry, Food Engineering, Chemical
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
7 years minimum R&D experience
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision,
401(k) and Pension Plan
Del Monte Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ALL RESUMES NEED TO BE SUBMITTED THROUGH WWW.DELMONTE.COM TO BE
No sponsorship is available for this position. No agency
solicitations. No third party recruiters