Food Safety Technician – Detroit, MI
Detroit, MI (Map it! )
4 Year Degree
At least 4 year(s)
Review, update, and maintain plant quality systems to ensure the production of high quality and safe food products that comply with product design, federal safety guidelines, and meet or surpass consumer expectations. The position is responsible to research, implement, and maintain all quality systems - as well as support resulting change management, and drive continuous improvement. This position will operate under general guidance from management, and perform routine work independently.
Essential Job Functions:
· Review, update and maintain the plant’s food safety and food quality programs to ensure compliance with Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards. Assist with implementation of new initiatives, as needed, to comply with GFSI standards.
· Follow regulatory and technological changes that may affect the food industry by maintaining professional contacts with peers in the industry, universities, and government agencies.
· Investigate, and document any compliance issues. Provide results to management, and make recommendations related to results of investigations.
· Establish vendor specifications and monitor vendor compliance.
· Develop and facilitate required colleague training - including creation of training materials.
· Promote colleague ownership of programs - through ongoing communication of essential information related to safety and food handling to all levels of colleagues.
· Act as key contact to external agencies for third-party audits. Reconcile any issues resulting from audits, and complete validation and verification of plant quality systems.
· Develop self-assessments and self-audits of quality systems, proper documentation, and records related to the quality and safety systems.
· Maintain all recordkeeping related to plant safety and quality issues.
Supplemental Job Functions:
· Perform significant analysis and investigate data. Assemble data into report form, and
submit to supervisor.
· Participate in project teams or perform additional work assignments as requested. Collaborate with other work groups to promote and sustain plant quality systems.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Bachelor degree in Food Science, Microbiology, or related field.
· Minimum of four (4) years experience in quality or food safety in a food manufacturing environment - with one year experience in food service (i.e. Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
· Knowledge and application of federal and state food industry, sanitation, and pest control regulations.
· Previous experience with independent or third-party audits. Demonstrated ability to work with and provide direction to internal and external cross-functional teams.
· Working knowledge of GFSI standards.
· Evidence of organization, planning, and prioritization skills - with the ability to handle multiple ongoing priorities.
· Demonstrated ability to analyze problems, make sound business recommendations, and exercise discretion and judgment.
· Evidence of highly developed communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation), and the ability to communicate technical information to a variety of audiences.
· Computer Proficiency (Microsoft Office, databases, internet, etc.).
Preferred Knowledge, skills and abilities:
1. Safe Quality Foods (SQF) Practitioner certification preferred.
1. Exposure to plant and manufacturing conditions. Temperature, noise, and the like may be unlike those conditions found in an office environment.
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org