Five children die, 66 fall ill due to food poisoning

 

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Source of Article:  http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200811132080.htm

Ranchi (PTI): Five children died and 66 fell ill of food poisoning at a residential school at Baridih here today after drinking milk.

The children of Adivasi Residential School fell ill after drinking milk at around 4 pm and doctors treating them said it was a case of food poisoning, said Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren, who rushed to Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) where they were taken for treatment.

RIMS director N N Agarwal said 26 children are undergoing treatment with symptoms of convulsions at the hospital and 40 are admitted to a health centre at Bero block in which the school is situated.

"The condition of four children admitted at RIMS is serious. Relevant tests are being done to ascertain the exact cause of illness," he told PTI.

Soren visited the hospital along with Human Resource Development Minister Bandhu Tirkey and inquired into the condition of the affected children.

"We have suspended whoever were responsible for checking the food before serving the children. We will file an FIR against the erring teachers and non-teaching staff after a probe...The school authorities should check before serving the children food and milk...Any lapse in unpardonable," Soren said.

He also announced Rs one lakh compensation to the families of each of the deceased.

 

 

 

Main Page

setstats            Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com

            If you have any comments, please send your email to info@foodhaccp.com