Nov. 21 (Xinhua) -- A dispute between two vendors resulted in food
poisoning that sickened 70 people in China's
province, local police said on Friday.
A man, surnamed Wang, was arrested on
Wednesday. Police in Jiaxing City
said he confessed to putting clenbuterol
hydrochloride into meat from a competitor's fridge.
Police said Wang and a vendor from
another stall in the Xiujia market had been
having a dispute, although they did not tell Xinhua what it was about or
for how long it lasted.
On Nov. 10, 70 employees from the Zhongmao Plastic Industrial Co., Ltd became sick with
vomiting, limb numbness and other symptoms. They had purchased the poisoned
pork and eaten it for lunch.
Authorities found clenbuterol
hydrochloride in the meat and the patients' vomit. They quickly suspended
the seller's business.
All 70 people have recovered and
returned to work.
Police are hunting for the person who
sold Wang the chemical which can be used to treat asthma. It is also
sometimes added to the feedstuff of pigs to make pork thinner, however,
even the residual is poisonous and its use has been banned by government.
No word on how much business the
vendor lost or when he will be able to resume selling meat.