Food Scientist - Cincinnati, OH
John Morrell & Co, a member of the John Morrell Food Group, has a Food Scientist position open in Springdale, Ohio.
The Food Scientist will serve as a corporate quality expert for the company, providing the foundational science in support of plant operations, quality management, and research and development. The Food Scientist must have a working knowledge about processed meat ingredients, formulations, processing systems, packaging, and shelf life and utilize this knowledge to help improve both quality and operational efficiency. The Food Scientist will apply this knowledge towards maintenance and improvement of the quality of products and cost of production.
· Conduct laboratory and plant research on processed meat raw materials, ingredients and finished products to improve food quality, and cost of product production.
· Conduct appropriate research in concert with R&D and operations that design critical food quality attributes into new products at inception.
· Research and establish a working knowledge about oxidation in processed meats, curing meats, and fermentation and use the knowledge to troubleshoot and help solve quality issues.
· Asses the integrity of the data generated in house as well as performed by third-party chemistry laboratories for the purposes of nutritional panels, regulatory compliance, standards of identity, and product specifications.
· Work with the various R&D groups and Consumer Affairs on sensory analysis of products. Provide expertise on how sensory studies are performed, how data is analyzed and how results are communicated to the company.
· Serve as the company resource for ingredient quality assessment, ingredient performance in products, and assist with ingredient replacement cost-reduction strategies.
· Provide general support and assist with managing the JMFG shelf life program.
· Serve as a liaison between the academic community and the company by applying research findings to relevant business opportunities.
· Must maintain an active applied research program using laboratory, pilot-plant, or plant resources and leading to peer-reviewed publications and internal company reports on subjects relating to food science, meat science, quality, or muscle biochemistry.
· Must be able to communicate effectively with scientists and non-scientists alike, such as business development managers, plant managers, executives within the company, and customers.
· Find, collect, and disseminate the relevant scientific information for the purpose of maintaining and/or improving quality of company products and performance in the marketplace.
15% travel required to processing facilities and professional meetings; 30% travel can be expected initially.
Processing facilities may include working on cold and wet environments.
Disclaimer: This position description is not intended, and should not be construed to be, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended, however, to be an accurate reflection of those principle job elements essential for making decisions related to job performance, employee development and compensation. As such, the incumbent may perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
As a part of the pre-employment screening process, all potential
employees are subject to a Drug Screen and Background Check.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
· M.S./Ph.D. degree in Meat Science, Food Science & Technology, Animal Science, or related field.
· A thorough knowledge of meat biochemistry, processed meat technology, curing reaction in meat, shelf life, and oxidative reactions in food and ability to apply such knowledge towards quality of processed meat products.
· Excellent presentation skills and the ability to communicate relevant technical information relating to food quality to processed meat plant QA and operational managers.
· Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills.
· The successful candidate will have the ability to independently conduct publishable applied research in the laboratory and in red meat-processing environments, as evidenced by prior publications in this field.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org