Food Safety Manager – Chicago, IL
Chicago, IL 60543 (Map it!
7 to 10
The facility is regulated
by both the USDA and FDA, and is currently pursuing BRC Global Standards for
Food Safety Certification. Initially this role will fill the Plant
Quality Manager role for a planned absence, then transition into a Food
Safety Manager role that would encompass this location, and a 2nd
location in Avon, OH (near Cleveland).
Essential Duties and
Food Safety Manager
- Lead the effort to obtain and
maintain BRC Certification at all Custom Culinary® manufacturing and
- Be the "BRC Expert"
within the organization, train others so they can understand these
requirements and take action to meet them.
- Complete annual BRC internal
audits, and train internal resources on how to perform audits (Certified
Auditor status required)
- Coordinate the completion and
documentation of all BRC required training
- Be the back-up to the Plant
Quality Manager in the event of extended absences, vacations, etc. (see
Plant Quality Manager job description)
Temporary Plant Quality
- Develop and maintain quality
objectives to support company policies and goals.
- Manage relationships with
regulatory agencies (USDA, FDA, etc.), 3rd party auditors, contractors,
- Develop and implement standards
and methods for product inspections, testing, and evaluation.
- Develops product sampling plan
and result trending to assure product quality.
- Create and maintain
documentation for compliance with stated requirements including customer
quality manuals, company policies / procedures, quality audit criteria
and regulatory requirements.
- Develop and update Procedures
and Work Instructions pertaining to Quality Systems functions including
Laboratory, Sanitation, etc.
- Provide training to plant
employees to assure compliance with Quality Systems requirements
- Manage the disposition of
nonconforming finished product, WIP and raw materials including returns,
damaged and out dated product or material.
- Manage supplier relationships
and coordinate Supplier Non-Conformance process.
- Point person for all 3rd party
Quality System audits including planning / preparation, conducting the
audit, documentation and improvement plans / activities.
- Develop / maintain an internal
manufacturing process audit
- Furnish QC related customer
information requests including investigation and satisfactory
disposition of customer complaints.
- As the Quality Systems liaison
for new products co-ordinates test runs with Sales, Marketing,
Production and R&D.
- Maintain test equipment and
assure result accuracy by establishing preventive maintenance program,
check sample program, calibration / verification program.
- Provide training and education
to QS/lab employees to ensure procedures or testing methods are
- Establish / manage finished
product test and release process including product cook-up, organoleptic
review, Aw level, etc.
- Work with R&D to establish
product specifications that the production process is capable of
- Assure Good Laboratory
Practices are adhered to.
- Manage the Sanitation Team by
coordinating with 3rd party contracted cleaning service.
- Develop and maintain the MSS,
develop proper sanitation procedures, etc.
- Select chemical supplier,
chemicals and equipment to facilitate proper cleaning of the facility.
- Select the Pest Control service
provider and manage Pest Control so both pest activity and the use of
chemicals are minimized.
- Review Pest Control records
weekly to assure pests are being managed appropriately and all
regulatory requirements for treatment and record keeping are met
- Assure compliance to all
applicable regulatory agencies including USDA, FDA, Bureau of Weights
and Measures, State and Local regulations.
- Maintain current HACCP plan for
both USDA and FDA products.
- Assure all package labeling
meets applicable laws and regulations.
- Chart pre-operational and
operational sanitation findings.
- Review and sign-off on the
pre-operational inspection sheets.
- Review pre-shipment review and
CCP verification activities.
- Coordinate pre-operational, operational,
pest control and locker audits.
- Develop and coordinate
execution of corrective action and preventive measures from audit
- Demonstrate working knowledge
of government and industry quality codes and standards.
- Provide Certificates of Analysis
to Customers as requested by Customer Service.
- Develop new approaches to solve
problems identified during quality activities.
- Prepares and presents technical
information to management team.
- Develop computerized program
for quality records, testing results, product and materials.
- Use historical data to identify
opportunity areas then lead cross-functional teams to address.
- Directly supervise employees in
the Quality department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in
accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include
interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and
directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining
employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- College degree – technical
field preferred (but not required)
- Strong microbiological control
- 7-10+ years of progressive
experience in Food Manufacturing Quality Assurance and Food Safety
- Experience with managing QS in
a USDA regulated facility.
- Experience managing laboratory
- HACCP Certification – USDA
(required) and FDA Seafood (desired)
- Past experience designing and
implementing Food Safety programs, preferably across multiple
- Global Food Safety Initiative
(GFSI) understanding and experience, preferably with BRC or SQF.
- Project Management Skills and
Experience, preferably multi-plant initiatives