Food Technologist-GER00078 - Maryland
About Mars Symbioscience Mars Symbioscience is the global health & life sciences segment of Mars, Incorporated focused on delivering evidence-based science. An idea incubator, Mars Symbioscience is headquartered in Germantown, Maryland, U.S.A., and through its business units, Mars Botanical, Mars Veterinary and Mars Plantcare, produces brands including WISDOM PANEL™, SERAMIS®, and COCOAVIA™.
About Mars Botanical Building on more than 15 years of Mars, Incorporated global leadership in the science investigating the health and biomedical potential of flavanols, Mars Botanical was established as a scientific division of Mars, Incorporated in 2007 to focus on research and product development involving flavanols, phytonutrients found in cocoa, tea, wine and certain fruits and vegetables. Mars Botanical’s mission is to commercialize cocoa flavanol-based products, which are supported by evidence-based claims and deliver meaningful and proven quality of life benefits to consumers worldwide.
The Food Technologist position is responsible for the development and implementation of new and improved products for Mars Botanical. This responsibility is all encompassing, and includes: Designing and/or improving products to meet the needs of consumers in each market in which the Company does business; the research, testing and scale-up of technologies and/or ingredients that provide an efficient product manufacturing processes; and the continuing research into new technologies/ingredients which are required to meet the future needs of the Company.
The position requires a positive, creative and pragmatic ‘can-do’ attitude and strong technical skills. The associate will work in a hypothesis-driven mode, that is, with a clear definition of objectives, testing protocols and expectation(s) of the outcomes.
· This position will be responsible for supporting the Food Applications group in the development and implementation of a wide range of food systems for the delivery of active compounds, in particular, cocoa flavanols.
· Under the guidance of line manager, identify, characterize, assess, recommend and implement raw materials from both a product and process perspective and from a variety of settings including bench top, pilot plant, and manufacturing. The same applies for new product formats.
· Work on problems of moderate scope and technical difficulty where analysis of situation or data requires review of identifiable factors related to ordinary laboratory experiments.
· Maintain, and update current formulations, raw materials and quality specifications, and make recommendations with regard to opportunities for continuous improvements.
· Conduct line trials internally and at external suppliers.
· Maintain accurate, complete logs/records of experiments and samples in the standard lab notebook.
· Ensure proper safety practices are followed in all testing and experiments as well as comply fully with all applicable directives regarding health, safety and environmental policies.
· Conduct oneself as a company representative with vendors or when attending trade association meetings or external training.
· BSc in Food Science is a must. An MSc in Food Science and/or 2-3 years of experience working for a food ingredient company are highly desirable.
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
· The incumbent will have a strong foundation in food ingredient functionality (e.g. hydrocolloids, starches, proteins, fats, etc.) and good knowledge of food processing operations (e.g. emulsification, spray drying, powder agglomeration, pasteurization, sterilization, etc.).
· From an instrumental point of view, is highly desirable that the incumbent have hands on experience on at least two of the following techniques: rheology (large and small deformation), DSC, light scattering, or electrophoresis.
· Strong problem solving, and the ability to analyze and recommend solutions, excellent interpersonal, mathematical, verbal and written communications skills. Literacy on statistics is a plus.
· Ability to design experiments, interpret results and recommend action plan based on data.
· Demonstrate ability to think creatively and apply these ideas during process/recipe development.
· Can manage multiple projects concurrently and set priorities in conjunction with line manager in a fast-changing, results-oriented R&D environment.
· Ability to document, organize and summarize project results through verbal and written communications.
· Is a team player, and establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other areas of the company.
· Proficiency in standard software such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
· Can manage multiple projects concurrently and set priorities in conjunction with line manager in a fast-changing, results-oriented R&D environment
· Domestic travel and occasional international travel may be required for training and off-site experimentation. Travel is expected to stay within 10% (i.e. maximum 5 weeks/year).
Research and Development
Copyright (C) All rights reserved under FoodHACCP.com
If you have any comments, please send your email to email@example.com