Opportunities: Staff Scientist, Sweets and Refreshment Research (30443)
Number 30443 - Posted 10/24/2013 - Pennsylvania - Hershey
Job Location: Hershey, PA
Residing at The Hershey Company's Technical Center, this position
involves a unique opportunity to work in Sweets and Refreshments Research
within the Food Research and Technology department. This group is responsible
for developing new ingredient and process technologies to provide new product
opportunities for Hershey’s confectionery portfolio including, licorice,
gummies, pressed tablets, hard candy and chews.
The successful candidate for this position will be a major contributor to
achieve company goals and programs. The individual should be able to provide
input to set priorities and contribute to strategic direction for research
programs. Specifically, this candidate will contribute in-depth knowledge of
carbohydrate chemistry and lead complex projects and programs for our
non-chocolate sweets and pressed mint businesses. The individual will provide
guidance in a cross functional setting, working closely with business
partners in Product Development, Marketing, Manufacturing, Engineering and
Quality, to determine project goals and timetables, execute the programs,
resolve resource allocation and timing issues and ensure that business
objectives are achieved.
The successful candidate will report to the group’s Sr. Manager and work
with other senior management to establish strategic direction and goals for
• Lead complex technology development projects which provide solutions in
various areas for the Hershey Company. These areas include food processing,
food ingredient interactions and developing new food systems.
• Direct experimental designs, conduct the experiments, and document results
in our knowledge management system.
• Interact closely with a cross functional group of technical, professional,
and managerial staff of R&D, as well as, production, engineering, and
• Understand the business impact of the projects.
• Obtain and allocate resources for projects as necessary.
• Provide leadership and instruction.
• Explore new areas of processing with an eye to invention and breakthrough
• Apply intensive and diversified engineering and scientific principles and
• Provide input for strategic research opportunities.
• Seek and understand market and technology gaps. Provide resources to seek
out solutions to these gaps. Test the technology and apply it to large scale
• Understand and utilize the R&D research systems which include;
Intellectual Property process, Open Innovation, Technical Business Teams, and
all Knowledge Management programs.
• Connect and interact with other industries and institutions as required to
exchange information and ideas in area of expertise.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform
• Strength in carbohydrate chemistry and food processing principles.
Experience working with sugar confections and/or pressed tablets is
• Advanced problem solving and evaluation capabilities
• Effective strategic thinking and business integration skills.
• Highly innovative individual.
• Highly motivated individual.
• Ability to apply project management skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent troubleshooting skills.
• Possess good computer skills (working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Power
Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required (Chemistry, Pharmaceutical
Sciences, Food Science, or Chemical, Agricultural, or Food Engineering).
Master’s degree and/or Ph.D. a plus.
Minimum of 6 years professional work experience recommended. Education
level will be taken into consideration when evaluating years of experience